Ph.D. Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Switzerland, Nuclear Engineering, 2012
Paul Scherrer Institute, Switzerland, 2012
M.S. Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden, Nuclear Engineering, 2008
B.S. Tsinghua University, China, Engineering Physics, 2006
- Nuclear Fuel Cycle and Code Development
- Reactor Licensing and Safety Analysis
- Reactor Physics Code Verification and Validation (V&V)
- In-core Experiment Design and Safety Evaluation
- Low Enrichment Uranium (LEU) Core Conversion
- Advanced and Innovative Test Reactor Design
European Patent No. 11196146.2–2208. A wrapper tube for a fuel subassembly of a nuclear reactor core and method for protecting fuel against overheating in case of coolant boiling. (Filed in 2011)
K. Sun, L. Hu, C. Forsberg. Neutronic design features of a transportable Fluoride-salt-cooled High-temperature Reactor. Journal of Nuclear Engineering and Radiation Science (in press) 2016.
C. Wang, K. Sun, L. Hu, S. Qiu, G. Su. Thermal-hydraulic analyses of transportable Fluoride-salt-cooled High-temperature Reactor with CFD modeling. Nuclear Technology (in press) 2016.
K. Sun, D. Carpenter, G. Kohse, L. Hu. Investigation on mitigating neutron streaming effect for the water-loop facility used in the MIT reactor. Progress in Nuclear Energy, vol. 80: pp/ 37-44, 2015.
W. Cheng, K. Sun, L. Hu, C. Chieng. Computational fluid dynamics analysis for asymmetric power generation in a prismatic fuel block of Fluoride-salt-cooled High-temperature Test Reactor. Journal of Nuclear Engineering and Radiation Science, vol. 1 / 011003-1, 2015.
K. Sun, M. Ames, T. Newton, L. Hu. Validation of a fuel management code MCODE-FM against fission product poisoning and flux wire measurement of the MIT Reactor. Progress in Nuclear Energy, vol. 75: pp. 42-48, 2014.
K. Sun, A. Chenu, J. Krepel, K. Mikityuk, R. Chawla. Coupled 3D-neutronics / thermal-hydraulics optimization study for improving the response of a 3600 MWth SFR core to an unprotected loss-of-flow accident. Nuclear Technology, vol. 183: pp. 484-503, 2013.
K. Sun, J. Krepel, K. Mikityuk, R. Chawla, A neutronics study for improving the safety and performance parameters of a 3600 MWth sodium-cooled fast reactor. Annals of Nuclear Energy, vol. 53: pp. 464-475, 2013.
K. Sun, J. Krepel, K. Mikityuk, S. Pelloni, R. Chawla. Void reactivity decomposition for sodium-cooled fast reactor in equilibrium fuel cycle. Annals of Nuclear Energy, vol. 38: pp. 1645-1657, 2011.
- European Nuclear Education Network (ENEN) Prize, 2012.
- Chinese Government Award for outstanding self-financed students abroad, 2012.
- Best 3rd year PhD Paper, Nuclear Energy and Safety Research Department, PSI, Switzerland, 2011.
- Scientific Scholarship of Tongfangweishi, Tsinghua University, China, 2003.